Frequently Asked Questions

Insurance: Do I need to do anything with homeowners insurance?

This question is really dealing with risk and liability. In order for a Guest to reserve your land, the Guest agrees to a very strict Guest user agreement. This agreement is designed to protect you (the Host) and CurbNTurf. You can see this at Furthermore, Guests are rated after every completed reservation. CurbNTurf makes an effort to weed out problematic Guests from our service.

In the event that more protection is needed, insurance will provide the second layer of risk protection. Specifically, homeowners or vacant land insurance would be the next protecting layer between the Host and risk. However, these insurance policies are designed for non-commercial use (commercial = the act of making money). Therefore, when you start earning money consistently, you will need to acquire a commercial insurance policy if you don't already have one.

Remember, no additional insurance is required until you move into a business mode. In this mindset, you may consider charging $0. In this way, you are helping solve the RV Industry site problem, testing your site’s interest level, and no additional insurance would be necessary. Your homeowner’s insurance will cover any associated risk and liability as you are not charging guests for their visits.

When ready for commercial insurance, CurbNTurf offers a 1 million dollar liability insurance site policy. The yearly per site price is $560 but lowers to $250 upon reaching 50 participants with low claims history. This 1 million dollar liability policy covers all rentals of up to 5 sites per property during the year through CurbNTurf or any other service. To get started go to

Neighbors: How should I deal with my neighbors?

The question is how much impact will hosting an RV have on your neighbor? Can they see the RV? How close is the RV to your neighbor. If they can see the RV and the RV is close, then I would ask your neighbor if they mind you hosting friends with RVs on your property. If they are good with that, I would emphasis that if they ever have any issues to let you know immediately. CurbNTurf wants you to remain an exceptional neighbor.

Local Ordinances: Do I need to contact my city before sharing my property so RVers can park?

Each area of the country will vary in its ordinance and zoning laws. CurbNTurf believes in personal property rights but not to the extent that a neighbor or community is negatively affected. That being said, I would start with determining what the local ordinances are for friends staying on your land in an RV. Is that allowed? How long can friends visit? Is there a limit to the number of days in the year different friends can come?

After determine what limitations you have for personal use, you would have to determine how comfortable you are moving forward in a semi-commercial use. Consider Airbnb, the homes are used for a commercial rental part of the time which is not defined in any ordinance or zoning law. So homeowners are doing Airbnb until the local government defines such laws. It might be that way for you until the local government defines these laws. When they do, you may have to do something more to comply. In the meantime, you can also ask your city if there are any special ordinances or laws you should be aware of for Airbnb type activities.

Taxes: How do I resolve the need to collect taxes and how they are applied in my area?

There are two taxes related to a sale: Income and Sales Tax.

Income Tax. This tax is paid as part of your personal taxes or business tax based on the total income you make. It is split between the IRS and State Tax Department. This should be fairly straight forward to calculate and pay as part of working with a Tax CPA. This tax is not passed through directly to a sale as “Sales Tax”.

Sales Tax: This tax is added to a sale and charged at the time of a sale. To determine the amount you would need to collect requires talking to your State Department that is over Sales Tax. If you describe your sales activity as an “Airbnb like shared economy overnight campsite stay transaction”, they should be able to help define what sales tax license you will need. They should know the local taxes that you will be collecting as well. I believe most states collect state and local taxes through the state but it would be good to make sure there is not a local city/county department you need to talk to. It is not uncommon for an individual to start a business along with making minimal sales to prove a concept. As sales start and the concept is proven, there is then a need to quickly apply for a sales tax license if your state requires it.

Did do you have any other questions? Drop us a line and we will
get back within 24 hours.